Dune Smart B1
Dune HD Smart B1 is an all-in-one solution for up to Full HD (1080p) video playback, combining a universal high definition media player and a modern Blu-ray disc player in one device.
• The newest Sigma Designs 8642 media processor: enjoy excellent playback and performance of interactive features.
• Blu-ray and DVD player: play Blu-rays and DVDs (plus Audio CD and data discs with video/music/photo files).
• HDD player: connect an HDD to the player and play content directly from the HDD.
• Network player: connect the player to a local network and play content directly from PC or NAS (UPnP, SMB, NFS).
• MKV player: play HD and SD video in a popular MKV format and other modern video file formats, including top quality HD video with very high bit rate.
• RealD: watch 3D video in this ultra modern format used in cinema for the latest movies.
• HD audio: enjoy top-quality audio tracks (Dolby True HD, DTS HD Master Audio, LPCM, FLAC).
• 3 USB ports: conveniently connect HDDs, USB flash drives, USB card readers and other USB storage devices.
• eSATA port: connect an HDD via the most efficient eSATA interface.
• SD card slot: easily play media files on SD memory cards from your camera or other devices, or use an SD memory card as a local or system storage (required for BD Live function).
• HDMI 1.3: ensure the best possible quality of HD video and HD audio.
• A rich set of standard A/V connectors: use S/PDIF optical audio, stereo audio, component video, composite video outputs to easily connect any A/V equipment.
• Flexible support for Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio: output as bitstream or decode to LPCM for flexibility when connecting audio equipment.
• Video output flexibility: output video in any resolution and format (from SD to 1080p, 24p/PAL/NTSC).
• Upscaling: high quality upscaling of DVD and any other SD video content to Full HD (1080p) or other HD resolution.
• File browser: convenient file browser with powerful file management (copy, move, delete, rename, organize, sort).
• High-quality music playback: play very high-quality (up to 192 Khz / 24-bit) music files in various formats (FLAC, Monkey’s Audio APE, WAV/PCM, DTS, etc).
• Playlists: build playlists from your folders, use your own playlists, use repeat and shuffle functions.
• NAS function: access files on storage devices (HDD, optical drive, etc) attached to the player from the local network (using SMB or FTP).
• BitTorrent: use built-in BitTorrent client to download files from P2P networks.
• Customizable user interface: work with media collections using cover art and icon browsing (with Full HD graphics).
• Flash applications: extend the player functionality with FlashLite applications.
• Internet radio: playback and record various Internet radio stations (HTTP/MP3).
• IPTV: playback and record IPTV streams (multicast UDP/RTP) from your Internet provider (check availability of multicast UDP/RTP streams with your Internet provider).
• Digital TV option: playback and record Digital TV channels using an optional Digital TV USB dongle (digital TV USB dongle is not included; this option can be purchased separately).
• Internet browsing: view Internet Web sites on your TV using the built-in Web browser (built-in Web browser has limitations and may not allow to view some Internet Web sites).
• Processor: Sigma Designs 8642
• RAM: 512 MB
• Flash memory: 128 MB, expandable with a HDD partition, USB flash drive, or SD card (2GB recommended)
• Media sources: built-in Blu-ray drive, external HDD (USB, eSATA), external optical drive (USB, eSATA), USB devices (USB flash drive, USB card reader, etc), built-in SD card reader (SD/SDHC), PC and NAS in local network (SMB, NFS, UPnP, HTTP), other Internet and local network media sources (HTTP, multicast UDP/RTP)
• Video codecs: MPEG2, MPEG4, XVID, WMV9, VC1, H.264; support for very high bitrate video (up to 50 MBit/s and higher)
• Video file formats: MKV, MPEG-TS, MPEG-PS, M2TS, VOB, AVI, MOV, MP4, QT, ASF, WMV, Blu-ray-ISO, BDMV, DVD-ISO, VIDEO_TS
• Optical disc formats: data discs (CD/DVD/BD) (MP3, JPEG, etc), Audio CD (PCM/DTS), DVD-Video (retail and user-authored discs), Blu-ray (retail and user-authored discs)
• Blu-ray playback: Blu-ray menu, BD-J, BonusView, BD-Live – for both Blu-ray discs (retail and user-authored) and full Blu-ray structures (Blu-ray-ISO, BDMV) played from HDD and network
• Video output modes: wide range of supported output resolutions (up to 1080p) and framerates (including 23.976p, 24p, PAL, NTSC)
• Video output framerate: automatic (according to the played content) and manual
• Audio codecs: AC3 (Dolby Digital), DTS, MPEG, AAC, LPCM, WMA, WMAPro, EAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), Dolby True HD, DTS HD High Resolution Audio, DTS HD Master Audio, FLAC, multichannel FLAC, Ogg/Vorbis; support for very high quality audio (up to 192 kHz / 24-bit)
• Audio file formats: MP3, MPA, M4A, WMA, FLAC, APE (Monkey’s Audio), Ogg/Vorbis, WAV, DTS-WAV, DTS, AC3, AAC
• HD audio support: pass-through (up to 7.1 channels) and decoding (stereo downmix) of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), pass-through (up to 7.1 channels) of multichannel LPCM audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), decoding (up to 7.1 channels) of FLAC audiotracks (MKV, external)
• Subtitle formats: SRT (external), SUB (MicroDVD) (external), text (MKV), SSA/ASS (MKV, external), VobSub (MP4, MKV, external SUB/IDX), PGS (Blu-ray, TS, MKV)
• Picture file formats: JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF
• Playlist file formats: M3U, PLS
• Photo viewer functions: slideshow, transition effects, picture rotation, zoom, browse playlist, repeat, shuffle
• Audio playback functions: browse playlist, repeat, shuffle, ID3 tags, plasma TV burn-in prevention
• Filesystems: FAT16/FAT32 (read-write), EXT2/EXT3 (read-write), NTFS (read-write)
• Ethernet: 10/100 Mbit
• WiFi: optional 802.11n WiFi (via an external USB WiFi stick, not included, Dune HD Air recommended)
• Dune Network Playback Accelerator: special optimizations ensuring best-in-class network playback performance for the Sigma Designs 864x platform and enabling smooth playback of any supported kind of media content via any network protocol (including NFS and SMB) even in 100 Mbit/s Ethernet networks.
Modular System of Player Configuration
Dune HD Smart players allow to create custom configurations based on the primary (head) unit like Dune HD Smart B1/H1/D1 and several optional extension modules of choice, which can be combined to form an integrated player. The Dune HD Smart player itself is a head unit which can be extended at user’s desire with extension modules, such as the following:
• Dune HD Smart HE (adds the option for easy installation of SATA 3.5″ HDD with hot swap feature).
• Dune HD Smart ME (adds the option for installing different additional modules, in particular, for reception of satellite, cable or digital terrestrial TV).
Extension modules can work exclusively with the head unit (Dune HD Smart player) and use a common control system, implemented via the head unit. The number of connected modules may vary in a wide range: the user can compile his/her own Dune HD Smart system of e.g. two, three and even six components. In order to group SMART devices by 2 or 3 horizontally, special mounts can be used. For example, a group of 3 modules, including the head unit, combined this way, will comprise a new player of a standard size like the model Dune HD Max. Besides, grouping the required number of modules allows to supersede the functionality of Dune HD Max, providing more flexibility at the same time. In particular, the modular approach provides the possibility to group modules in any order at any time depending on user’s demands, as well as replacing (upgrading) particular modules instead of replacing the entire set of equipment.
• Player itself without legs: 142 mm (width) x 276 mm (depth) x 56 mm (height)
• Player itself with legs: 142 mm (width) x 276 mm (depth) x 65 mm (height)
• Gift box: 270 mm x 100 mm x 325 mm
• Net weight: 1.64 kg
• Gross weight: 2.97 kg
• Dune HD Smart B1 media player
• Remote control (batteries may not be included)
• HDMI cable
• AV cable
• Power supply cord
Get Smart – The Dune HD Smart Series Media Streamers Reviewed (posted on December 27, 2010)